ADHD Entrepreneurs and Locus of Control
As I am sure you are aware, I am an entrepreneur with ADHD. If you are reading this, I imagine you are too. Hence, you’re no stranger to the unique challenges of running a business while managing the symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms. But with the right mindset and strategies, you can make ADHD your superpower and be a highly successful entrepreneur.
One necessary mindset to develop is a balance between internal and external locus of control. As an ADHD entrepreneur, you might have a strong drive to take absolute control of your outcomes and rely on your abilities and decisions. This sounds great to your internal control freak. However, let’s face it, there are external; factors, and recognizing the impact and the value of collaboration can also be critical to achieving your goals.
Locus of control is the term that refers to an individual’s belief about whether they can influence the events and outcomes in their life or if they are at the mercy of external factors such as luck or fate. It is a continuum ranging from internal to external control, where individuals with a more robust internal locus of control believe they can control their destinies. In contrast, those with a more vital external locus of control believe that their fate is mainly determined by external factors.
Internal Locus of Control
Individuals with a strong internal locus of control believe that their actions and decisions are the primary determinants of the outcomes in their lives. They take responsibility for their successes and failures and think they can change their circumstances through their own efforts. They are proactive in their approach to life and tend to have higher self-esteem and better coping skills. Essentially, they believe they are the masters of their domain, kings of their country, and Lords of their Manor!
External Locus of Control
Individuals with a strong external locus of control believe that external factors such as luck, fate, other people’s actions, or their lucky stars largely determine the outcomes in their lives.
They may feel powerless to change their circumstances and may be more likely to experience feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. They may also be more prone to anxiety and depression as they feel that their actions are unlikely to impact the outcome of events.
Here are some tips for balancing locus of control as an ADHD entrepreneur:
- Comprehend what you can control: While many factors may be outside your control as an entrepreneur, you can still take actions to influence outcomes. Focus on what you can control, such as your productivity and decision-making, and take proactive steps to maximize your success in these areas. Note one thing you cannot control is the neurology of your brain. More on that later
- Find the Flexibility: As an ADHD entrepreneur, you may be accustomed to being creative and adaptable in your approach to challenges. Embrace this flexibility and openness to change, recognizing that external factors may require you to pivot or adjust your plans.
- Celebrate Collaboration: While you may be used to working independently as an ADHD entrepreneur, collaborating with others can be a powerful way to achieve your goals. Seek out partners and advisors who complement your skills and can provide new perspectives and expertise.
- Outrageous Optimism: Positivity and belief in your own success can be critical to achieving your goals as an ADHD entrepreneur. Rather than being discouraged by setbacks or challenges, use them as opportunities to learn and grow.
- Rehash a Routine: As an ADHD entrepreneur, a lack of structure and routine can significantly hinder productivity and success. Develop a daily routine that works for your unique needs and helps you stay focused and organized.
Of course, one thing that is totally outside of your control is your ADHD itself. ADHD has to do with your neurology, which you have no power over, no matter how frustrated it makes you. Your spouse can’t change it, your boss can’t change your clients can’t change it… and neither do the Democrats or the Republicans! The only way to be responsible for the condition is to realize that you have no control over ADHD and then take actions that enable you to skyrocket your life anyway!
By the right balance (for you) of internal and external locus of control, embracing your unique ADHD traits, and taking proactive steps to maximize your success, you can achieve your goals as an ADHD entrepreneur. With the right mindset and strategies, ADHD can be a strength rather than a hindrance in your entrepreneurial journey.
So, how can you learn to utilize AI and ADHD?
The answer is to call Dr. Get in Focus; he can show you! To set up your free appointment, click here on the link! https://calendly.com/dr_work_from_home/get-in-focus-vip-session-clone
Dr. Get in Focus works with businesses, entrepreneurs, and remote workers to get in focus and skyrocket their productivity. He is here to talk to see if he can help. His website is https://drgetinfocus.com to take advantage of his training programs. Check https://getinfocusworkshop.drgetinfocus.com/ for the latest workshop.
Don’t wait; get in focus today!
Dr. Jeff Levine has been working with entrepreneurs to skyrocket production for decades. He is not, however a licensed therapist. For resources on ADHD and therapy, please check here: https://adhdonline.com/get-help/?msclkid=929b135866da187a01fe7122f8fe0765